Caputh lies at the edge the flood plain of the River Tay, about five miles east of Dunkeld. With its origins as a Pictish settlement known as ‘Keapoch’, it was abandoned when the Romans established a large legionary fortress at nearby Inchtuthil around 82 AD. Later rebuilt, it was the centre of an extremely large parish stretching from Dowally almost to Blairgowrie and became a traditional Perthshire village with three shops that served the surrounding villages. An important river crossing developed when a chain-ferry replaced the common chain-boat in 1834. This was followed by the Victoria Bridge (1888) and then by the modern road bridge (1993).Click here for the history of Manse Road. Near the bridge the largest salmon (64lbs/29kg) ever caught in the United Kingdom was landed in 1922 – by a woman! Miss Georgina Ballintine was the daughter of the last ferryman and lived in Victoria Cottage. Today, Caputh still draws fishermen to try their luck by the bridge.
Clunie is a small settlement in Perthshire 7 km west of Blairgowrie. It lies on the western shore of the Loch of Clunie. Near the village are the foundations of what is believed to have been be a castle used by Kenneth MacAlpin, the first king of Scotland, as a base for hunting in the nearby royal forest of Clunie.
On a small island (formerly a crannog) in the loch stand the remains of Clunie Castle, a tower house of the Bishops of Dunkeld. The last pre-Reformation bishop, Robert Crichton, passed the property to his near relative, Robert Crichton, Lord Advocate of Scotland. His son James, the notable Scottish polymath better known as the Admirable Crichton, spent his childhood there. Within the grounds of the parish church, rebuilt in 1840, stands a mausoleum with a romanesque doorway thought to be from an earlier 12th or 13th century church which stood on the same site. The church is now linked with those at Kinclaven and Caputh.
Five miles south of Blairgowrie, just north of the meeting of the River Tay and River Isla, the village of Meikleour has an unusual claim to fame in that is the site of the highest beech hedge in the world. Planted in 1745, the hedge is 530 metres (one third of a mile) long and 30 metres (100ft) high. The story goes that the men who planted it died fighting for the Jacobites at Culloden. To pay tribute to their memory it was left to grow to the heavens. The mighty hedge, previously cut once every 10 years, is also the longest of its kind in Britain. It winds around Meikleour House, built in 1870 and now owned by the Marquess of Landsdowne.
Murthly village is situated to the south of the River Tay and is 5 miles (8 km) south-east of Dunkeld, providing easy access to the A9 and the North of Scotland. The Murthly estate covers over 12,000 acres and includes a beautiful 15th-century castle and the breath-taking Chapel of St Anthony the Eremite. The Chapel was restored in the 1990s and is a fine example of the history of the area.
The village of Spittalfield is situated in Perthshire between Dunkeld and Blairgowrie, and approximately 16 miles from Perth. The local primary school is located in Glendelvine, a mile outside the village and is shared with the neighbouring village of Caputh.