Caputh lies at the edge the flood plain of the River Tay, about five miles east of Dunkeld. With its origins as a Pictish settlement known as ‘Keapoch’, it was abandoned when the Romans established a large legionary fortress at nearby Inchtuthil around 82 AD. Later rebuilt, it was the centre of an extremely large parish stretching from Dowally almost to Blairgowrie and became a traditional Perthshire village, at one time with three shops but now with none, that served the surrounding villages.
An important river crossing developed when a chain-ferry replaced the common chain-boat in 1834. This was followed by the Victoria Bridge (1888) and then by the modern road bridge (1993).Click here for the history of Manse Road. Near the bridge the largest salmon (64lbs/29kg) ever caught in the United Kingdom was landed in 1922 – by a woman! Miss Georgina Ballintine was the daughter of the last ferryman and lived in Victoria Cottage. Today, Caputh still draws fishermen to try their luck by the bridge.
Children from Caputh attend Glendelvine school, which is shared with Spittalfield.