Clunie is a small settlement in Perthshire 7 km west of Blairgowrie. It lies on the western shore of the Loch of Clunie. Near the village are the foundations of what is believed to have been be a castle used by Kenneth MacAlpin, the first king of Scotland, as a base for hunting in the nearby royal forest of Clunie.
On a small island (formerly a crannog) in the loch stand the remains of Clunie Castle, a tower house of the Bishops of Dunkeld. The last pre-Reformation bishop, Robert Crichton, passed the property to his near relative, Robert Crichton, Lord Advocate of Scotland. His son James, the notable Scottish polymath better known as the Admirable Crichton, spent his childhood there. Within the grounds of the parish church, rebuilt in 1840, stands a mausoleum with a romanesque doorway thought to be from an earlier 12th or 13th century church which stood on the same site. The church is now linked with those at Kinclaven and Caputh.